DRAFT - Minutes of a Meeting held in the Phoenix Hall On Thursday, 14th April 2022 at 7.00 p.m.

Download this document

- - -
Parish Councillors Present:Cllr. D. BurkeChairman
Cllr. R. Ayling
Cllr. C. Coslett
Cllr. B. Covil
Cllr. Mrs. M. Mitchell
Cllr. Mrs. P. Perry
In Attendance:Mrs. Mary TowleClerk of the Council


Cllr. Blair-Pilling began by updating the Council on Wiltshire Council’s response to Ukrainian refugees.

Other topics discussed were:  Electric Vehicle Charging points, planning application on land at Piggot Close, A345 Traffic calming and the Jubilee events.

The Chairman, Cllr. David Burke called for 2 minutes silence to remember those who died in the two World Wars.



Apologies were received from:  Cllr. S. Perry, Cllr. F. Collison



There were no Declaration of Interests



It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 10th March 2022 be accepted as a true record.



1 .    Authorization of Cheques 

The following cheques were approved for the month of March 2022:


Mrs. M. Towle – Use of home as office     £30.00

RGV – installing defib outside McColls     £290.40

Hurdcott Landscapes Ltd     £201.83

Phoenix Hall Bookings     £20.00

ICO     £35.00

Payroll     £1018.91

Square Meter Media     £35.79

Fresh Air Fitness     £10,324.20

Phoenix Hall booking     £10.00

Hurdcott Landscapes Ltd.    £201.83

Mrs. M. Towle – use of home as office     £30.00


2 .    Bank reconciliation

Balance of transactions.   £11,245.39

Uncleared withdrawals £11,692.01

Balance in bank £22,937.40




1 .     Planning

Cllr. Coslett reported that there are three new planning application as follows:


PL/2022/10078 PLANNING APPLICATION for one pair of semi-detached houses on land at Piggot Close

A public planning meeting was held and the Netheravon Parish Council RESOLVED to object to this application on the grounds:

  • Overdevelopment of site
  • Building is too close to A345 impacting site lines
  • Development is outside the Settlement Boundary of the village (not as stated in their planning application)
  • Parking of additional 5 cars is too many.   No allowance is made for visitors cars
  • Road safety and access to a dangerously fast road on which there have been numerous accidents, one fatal, at that junction

PL/2022/02941 TREE WORKS IN CONSERVATION AREA Reduction in height of 2-2.5m of a lime tree at Old School Close

Comments by Parish Council:  No objections

PL/2022/03001 TREE WORKS IN CONSERVATION AREA  Reduction of crown of walnut tree by 20% at Kings Hill Cottage

Comments by Parish Council:  No objections


Cllr Coslett reported that he has written a draft attachment to the Netheravon Parish Council Standing Orders to make clear the policy for dealing with planning applications.   This will be on the agenda for the next meeting for approval.


2 .    Flooding and Adverse Weather

  • The Clerk reported that the latest edition of the Emergency Plan has been put into the Phoenix Hall


3 .    Highways 

Cllr. Coslett and Cllr. Mrs. Perry will do a circuit of Netheravon to make a list of defects for the special CATG meeting on 25th April.


4 .  CATG

Cllr. Richie reported that there was a fault with the link and so it was not possible to attend the online meeting on 13th April.


5 .    Cemetery/Enhancement

Cllr. Coslett reported that a meeting of the sub-committee had met and the hanging basket brackets were agreed, discs would be put onto the brackets to commemorate the Jubilee, plants were be ordered from the internet, and compost would be ordered from a local firm for the tubs and hanging baskets.


6 .    Recreation  

Cllr. Ayling reported that the exercise equipment has been installed.   One of the stations has protective covers missing from the base.   The contractors will send the missing covers which Cllr. Ayling will fit.

The Clerk agreed to find a supplier for a repair kit for the Court Farm Play Area safety surfacing.


7 .    Allotments

The Clerk reported that all the allotments have been filled.   Two allotments were cultivated by Graham Towle using David Sheppard’s equipment. 


8 .    Phoenix Hall

The Treasurer is able to access online banking for the hall, which is making management much easier.  Our financial year ended 31/3/2022.  Our new booking clerk is settling in very well.

Bookings remain strong, with more wedding receptions booked than we have had for the past 4 years.  A positive move.  The new grass is growing well and makes the front of the hall look smarter and allows more light in to the main hall.

    Plans include: 

    A new representative from NPC on our committee.

    Our hopes for solar PV on the roof and EV charge points in 2022 are still active.

Charles Coslett, Chairman, Management Committee


The Clerk agreed to contact contractor to repair fence.


9 .   Rights of Way

The Clerk reported that the Wessex Gate has been vandalised and removed.   It was agreed that a galvanised farm gate be put in its place with a gap for dogs.   It was also agreed to put a map of the School Walk on the gate.


10 .  Jubilee Committee

The next committee meeting is 3rd May.   Plans for a Street Party are going forward.   Flags will be put onto the telegraph poles along the High Street with a grant of £180 from the Jubilee Committee. 




Stonehenge Community Area Board

Cllr. Richie reported that the face to face meeting was interesting and informative.

The next meeting will be on 9th June 2022.   Cllr. Burke agreed to attend.




A .    Beacon/Bonfire

The Clerk reported that a meeting has been held and the minutes were sent to all Councillors.   She further reported that they have managed to get a Bugler and a Piper for the night.

Clerk to ask the Range Safety Officer to lend some beaters.

B .    Queen’ Green Canopy

Cllr. Burke reported that this will be a long term project because of complications with the farmer on giving up the land.   It is in the hands of the MOD.

It was agreed that the Council plant cherry trees along the walk way between Court Farm Road and Queensway.   It should be called Jubilee Walk.

C .    Adult Outdoor Exercise Equipment

It was agreed that the opening ceremony will be during the Jubilee weekend.   Date to be confirmed.

D .    Jubilee mugs for children

Cllr. Burke announced that the mugs will be presented to the children at the School on 27th May and the others at the street party.

E .    Front Garden Competition

The front gardens will be judged late July.



It was agreed that a volunteer be found from the south of the village.



The Clerk reported that she is compiling a list of children who would like mugs who do not go to the village school.



  1. email from a resident asking about the ownership of the cob wall in Vicarage Gardens.   Clerk has responded.
  2. email from a resident offering to give the Council two trees to plant.   It was suggested that one could be planted outside the Library and the other in the Cemetery.




There were no General Parish Matters



Thursday 12th May, 2022 at 7.00pm in the Phoenix Hall



It was RESOLVED that in the interest of the public, the next item of business be dealt with as Confidential Business, and the press and public be excluded.



It was RESOLVED that the Litter Warden and Cemetery Groundsman/Handyman be paid the new National Minimum Wage of £9.50 per hour

It was RESOLVED the Clerk to the Council be paid SCP 17 rate of £12.95 per hour