DRAFT - Minutes of the Meeting held in the Phoenix Hall On Thursday, 9 February 2023 at 7.00 p.m.

Download this document

- - -
Parish Councillors Present:Cllr. R. AylingChairman
Cllr. D. BurkeVice-Chairman
Cllr. A. Brown
Cllr. F. Collison
Cllr. C. Coslett
Cllr. P. Mackay
Cllr. Mrs. P. Perry
Cllr. S. Perry
In Attendance:2 members of the public
Cllr. Ian Blair-PillingWiltshire Councillor
Mrs. Mary TowleClerk of the Council


Cllr. Richie Ayling thanked everyone who helped with problems during the adverse weather recently, especially David Burke.


Richard Aubrey-Fletcher thanked the Parish Council for inviting him to speak about the maintenance of the Church and how the donations for maintenance are dealt with, as the Parish Council will be taking over cutting the grass of the car park and the graveyard including the hedge.    Various options were put to councillors and they agreed to make a decision in Confidential Business at the end of the meeting.

Richard Aubrey-Fletcher explained how difficult it is to meet their commitments as they have a very small congregation.

A member of the public raised the subject of potholes around the village and of the road subsidence in Mill Road and on the A345.    Cllr. Ian Blair-Pilling reported that potholes were being dealt with by the Parish Steward and the subsidence is on a priority list of road repairs which will be done in due course.


Cllr. Ian Blair-Pilling reported that there is a consultation meeting on the Boundary Review on 20th February in the Phoenix Hall at 6.30pm   He encouraged everyone to attend to give their views.   Because the three affected villages met together to agree the boundary it is probable that there will be little opposition.

Cllr. Blair-Pilling also was able to announce that subject to agreement by the police and subject to agreement when there is a formal consultation with the public and agreement by the Cabinet Member, the A345 will have a trial 40mph speed limit for one year starting in July 2023.   It is very important that a Speed Watch Group is formed and is ready to start when the trial starts.   The Clerk agreed to apply for a Community Area Grant on behalf of the Speed Watch Group with match funding by the Parish Council which will enable the Group to purchase 2 Speed Indicator Devices.



Apologies were received from Cllr.  Brian Covil



There were no Declaration of Interests



It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 12th January 2023 be accepted as a true record.




1 .    Authorisation of Cheques


It was RESOLVED to approve the cheques for January/February 2023.

Phoenix Hall £37.00

Payroll £1124.48

Mrs. M. Towle – Use of home as office £30.00


2 .    Bank Reconciliation

The Balance at the Bank as at 1st February, 2023 is £18445.03




1 .   Planning

Cllr. Coslett reported that there is 1 new planning application


PL/2023/00524 TREES IN CONSERVATION AREA prune 7 trees removing low epicormic growth from 5 lime trees and 1 sycamore tree at Harefield Crescent

Parish Council Comments:  No objections

2 .   Flooding and Adverse Weather

Cllr. Burke reported that the river has been very high and a lot of water has flowed down from the Plain into the ditches running to the river.   He checked the culvert under the road which is clear.   Cllr. Burke put signs on the main road when the water at the bottom of Whitesheet Hill froze.   There was a problem of ice at the entrance to Vicarage Gardens and signs were put up there.   The resident of Paddock House kept the pavement ice free by using salt from the bin in Vicarage Gardens.   Cllr. Burke also filled the salt bin in Queensway.

3 .    Highways (plus Parish Steward)

The Clerk reported that the No HGV sign has been replaced at the High Street end of Old Post Office Lane.


Cllr. Ayling reported that at the recent meeting of LHFIG there was unanimous support for the speed reduction on the A345 in Netheravon.   Three councillors agreed to be part of a Speed Watch sub committee.   Cllrs. Mackay, Coslett, and Ayling.   David Jaffray will also be asked to attend the inaugural meeting.

5 .    Cemetery /Enhancement/Community Larder

The Clerk reported that she has ordered 12 pre-planted hanging baskets for the High Street.

It was agreed that 6 Prunus Kanzan trees will be ordered for planting along ‘Jubilee Walk’ which is the area between Queensway and Court Farm Road.   Cllr. Coslett will investigate whether the school would like to be involved in the planting of the trees.

6 .   Recreation  

The Clerk reported that a new notice has been put on the fence at Court Farm Play Park.   She has asked Aster Group to put new wire on the gate as the holes in the old wire are large enough for dogs to access the play park.

Cllr. Richie has designed a notice about parking at the BMX track.   This will be made as soon as possible and will be fixed to the kissing gate.

The Clerk reported that a new gatepost has been fitted to the Jubilee Gate at the Millennium Park.

7 .   Allotment

The Chairman has had a meeting with Ash Oates who has volunteered to oversee the Community Allotment.   Cllr. Ayling will put a post on social media asking for volunteers to help.

8 .    Rights of Way

Nothing to report.




a .    Phoenix Hall

The Chairman reported that finances show a current bank balance of £13737.76 with an additional £6000 on deposit.

He announced that the Phoenix Hall have now lost the Youth Club which will hit the Hall hard as they were one of their biggest payers.

Maintenance and Improvements

We are still in the process of obtaining quotes for the fire exit door in the main kitchen.

Repairs have been carried out to the Men’s Lavatories.

Looking ahead

We are pleased with the number of bookings and inquiries we are getting for the hall but can always improve the use of the hall especially by the villagers. 

Steve Perry, Chairman


b .    Stonehenge  Area Board

The next Stonehenge Area Board will be on 30th March.   Cllr. Ayling agreed to attend.


c .   Jubilee Committee

Cllr. Ayling reported that the Jubilee Committee has a new Chairman, Ed Binsted and Treasurer/Secretary, Liz Tippett.   The Clerk has agreed to help Liz put in a grant application for a generator to be used by the community for all the outdoor functions held during the year.

The Coronation Music in the Park Committee have lots of plans for the weekend and will be asking the Jubilee Committee to fund the Bands to the tune of £2000.

As well as the Music in the Park there will be a Peel of Bells at the Church and also Songs of Praise.   The Working Men’s Club have also plans for Coronation Saturday.


REPORT by the Clerk

  • The Clerk said the suggested big topics for the Annual Parish Meeting will be the Community Governance Review (Boundary Change) and the trial reduction of the speed limit along the A345 with the formation of a Speed Watch Group.
  • It was agreed that the Coronation Mugs should be joint mugs with Fittleton cum Haxton Parish Council.
  • It was agreed that Cllr. Brown help Cllr. Perry with the management of the Allotments.   He will also be on the Planning Committee.
  • The Clerk reported that cover by St. John Ambulance for the Coronation Music in the Park has been arranged.



The following correspondence has been received by email and forwarded to Parish Councillors.

  • Climate Action Planning Workshop
  • Community Governance Review

All email correspondence from Wiltshire Council has been forwarded to Councillors



There were no General Parish Matters



16th March, 2023 Annual Parish Meeting at 6.30pm in the Phoenix Hall followed by a shortened Parish Council Meeting.



 It was RESOLVED that in the interest of the public, the next item of business be dealt with as Confidential Business, and the press and public be excluded.



It was RESOLVED that all monies received by the PCC be retained by them for the maintenance of the fabric of the Church.