Minutes of the Meeting held in the Phoenix Hall on Thursday 24th October 2022 at 7.00pm

Download this document

- - -
Parish Councillors Present:Cllr. R. AylingChairman
Cllr. D. BurkeVice-Chairman
Cllr. F. Collison
Cllr. C. Coslett
Cllr. Mrs. M. Mitchell
Cllr. P. Mackay
In Attendance:5 members of the public
Cllr. Ian Blair-PillingWiltshire Councillor
Mrs. Mary TowleClerk of the Council


Mrs. Hedge Burley spoke about her ideas on putting a Community Larder on the corner of Queensway for people to contribute their excess provisions to help people in the community who might be struggling.   She has been offered a cupboard and is in the process of getting permission from the owner of the land to place it on the corner.

The Chairman thanked her for her work with this project and confirmed that the Parish Council will help in any way they can.   As soon as there is anything definite to report the Clerk will put an article in the Newsletter asking for volunteers.


The Chairman presented Dylan Hughes the Silver Jubilee Cup in recognition of all the community work he has done over the past year for the village and the Parish Council.   He has helped put up the poppies at Remembrance, helped put poppy crosses on all the war graves in the Churchyard,  helped with the Christmas tree lights, helped with the Jubilee Beacon and helped with Cheerful Cuppa in the school holidays to name but a few of the things he has done during the year.   Well done Dylan.


Cllr. Ian Blair-Pilling reported that he has produced a paper on the Cost of Living crisis.   Everyone has received a copy.

The result of the Speed Assessment along the A345 was disappointing, but he made clear that this was a recommendation and not a decision and that he will be taking this further.   He recommended that as soon as any decision has been reached if favourable a Community Speed Watch group is set up and trained and investigations as to what type of SID is needed should be carried out.

There has been a meeting with the Community Governance Review committee to look at the request by Netheravon for boundary changes.   Several alterations to the map were suggested.   There will be full consultation with the parishes before any decision is made.



Apologies were received from Cllrs:  Brian Covil, Steve Perry and Pam Perry



There were no Declaration of Interests



It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 29th September 2022 be accepted as a true record.



1 .  It was RESOLVED to approve the cheques for September/October 2022.


Netheravon Day Centre £400.00

Payroll £1046.29

Hurdcott Landscapes £322.32

PKF Littlejohn - auditor £360.00

SSE £67.12

MOD – Cemetery water £19.89

Mrs. M. Towle – Use of home as office £30.00

Adam Corkery   vinyl letters for sign £10.22

Phoenix Hall – grant for Clerk £1200.00

SSE £49.30

MOD rent increase BMX, Allotments £31.85

St. John Ambulance £100.00


2 .  Bank Reconciliation

The Balance at the Bank as at 1st October, 2022 is £28,061.27


3.   Budget requirements for year 2023/24

Suggested projects for next year:

  • Safety surfacing for Court Farm Play Park
  • Community Allotment
  • Churchyard
  • SID
  • Power and water supply for Millennium Park




1 .   Planning

Cllr. Coslett reported that there were 2 new planning applications


PL/2022/08113 TREES IN A CONSERVATION AREA Reductiion of the crown and removal of low branches tro trees within the operating area of the brewery business at the Old Mill

Parish Council Comments:  No objections               


PL/2022/08124 TREES IN CONSERVATION AREA Pollard willow trees and remove a hawthorn tree at Riverside House, Mill Road.

Parish Council Comments:  No objection


Cllr. Coslett reported that Wiltshire Council has approved the application PL/2022/05819 for a pair of semi-detached houses on land at Pigott Close.   There are conditions imposed, in the main regarding sight-line and access to the site/A345 from Pigott Close.   These can be seen in full at https://development.wiltshire.gov.ik/pr/s/planning-application/a0i3z000018cMYQ.   NPC planning committee regrets this development, not least because it is outside the WC stated settlement boundary of the village, and the number of parishioners who objected to it.


There has been one other item:  concerning the handling by NPC of the planning application 20/10921/FUL for the Old Brewery Works.   A parishioner has contacted the Complaints Department of Wiltshire Council (the Planning Authority) to restate their case about the probity of NPC in 2021 when considering the case.   NPC has heard nothing yet from Wiltshire Council regarding this.

2 .   Flooding and Adverse Weather

Nothing to report

3 .    Highways (plus Parish Steward)

The Clerk will ask Cllr. Covil to contact the Parish Steward to tidy up the War Memorial area before the Remembrance service.   The Clerk will also ask him to speak to the Parish Steward about the layby in Old Post Office Lane.

The Clerk was asked to report the missing ‘No HGV’ sign at the corner of Old Post Office Lane and the High Street.   She was also asked to report the uneven pavement between Old Post Office Lane and the Dog and Gun along the A345.


The Chairman reported that at the meeting of the LHFIG the request for a Stagg Lane sign has been agreed. 

5 .    Cemetery /Enhancement

The Clerk reported that there is a broken seat in the Cemetery.   The Village Handyman has been asked to repair this.

Cllr. Mrs. Mitchell reported that there is a tree branch overlapping the Noticeboard in the Cemetery causing the Noticeboard to be unusable.   The Village Handyman has been asked to remove the branch.

6 .   Recreation  

The Clerk reported that the RoSPA inspection is overdue.

7 .   Allotment

There are two vacant allotments from April 2023.   An advertisement will be put into the Newsletter in the New Year.

8 .    Rights of Way

Cllr. Mrs. Mitchell reported that there is a possibility that we could acquire an Allen Scythe for the footpaths in the Parish.   Cllr. Burke agreed to investigate.




a .    Phoenix Hall

It was reported that the new Burco Boiler is now working correctly.

b .    Stonehenge  Area Board

The next Stonehenge Area Board will be on 15th December.   Cllr. Burke agreed to attend.

c .   Jubilee Committee

Nothing to report




It was agreed to defer this discussion until the November meeting.


REPORT by the Clerk 

  • The skittles match with the Avon Valley Parishes will be held on 7th November.   A trophy will be purchased.  Light refreshments will be provided.
  • The working party to put up the poppies will be on 29th October at 9am
  • The Clerk has written to Salisbury Reds requesting a bus stop at the top of Whitesheet Hill, west side.
  • The Clerk has informed Wiltshire Council that there is a vacancy for a councillor.



Email received concerning the closure of Larkhill Racecourse.   It was agreed that it should be passed to Durrington Town Council as the Racecourse is in their Parish.

All email correspondence from Wiltshire Council has been forwarded to Councillors



  • It was agreed that the Clerk should write a letter of condolence to the Commanding Officer of the Red Devils.



24th November, 2022 at 7.00pm in the Phoenix Hall.