Minutes of the Meeting held in the Phoenix Hall On Thursday, 14th September, 2023 at 6.30 p.m.

Download this document

- - -
Parish Councillors Present:Cllr. R. AylingChairman
Cllr. D. BurkeVice-Chairman
Cllr. A. Brown
Cllr. B.Covil
Cllr. P. Mackay
Cllr. Mrs. M. Mitchell
Cllr. Mrs. P. Perry
Cllr. S. Perry
In Attendance:Mr. Andy BridewellMember of the public
Mrs. Mary TowleClerk of the Council


All winners were treated to a glass of wine before the presentation of a certificate and a garden voucher. Cllr. Richie presented the awards and made a special mention of the Community Allotment which has had a very successful first year and have a number of enthusiastic workers who have managed to keep the Community Larder supplied during the summer. All winners were congratulated on making their gardens so special in a very challenging year weatherwise.


Cllr. Ayling announced the passing of a long term loyal member of staff, Cecil Phillimore. Several members of the Council agreed to attend his funeral.


Cllr. Ayling introduced Andy Bridewell who would like to be considered as a Parish Councillor to fill the vacancy on the Council.

Andy spoke about his wish to become Parish Councillor as he will be retiring in the near future and would like to become more involved in the Village.

Cllr. Ayling informed Andy that there will be a session of Confidential Business at the end of the meeting in which Councillors will decide on his co-option.


Cllr. Blair-Pilling was not able to attend the meeting as he was at the Stonehenge Area Board Meeting. He sent a report by email.



Apologies were received from Cllr. Charles Coslett



There were no Declaration of Interests



It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 20th July 2023 be accepted as a true record.




1 .    Authorisation of Cheques


It was RESOLVED to approve the cheques for April/May/June 2023.

Payroll - July £1046.04
Mrs. M. Towle – Use of home as office £30.00
Payroll – August £1025.20
Hurdcott Landscape £244.42
Mrs. M. Towle – Use of home as office £30.00


2 .    Bank Reconciliation

The Balance at the Bank as at 20th July, 2023 is £15,380.58

The Clerk reported that the External Auditor has approved the accounts with no comments or queries.




1 .   Planning

There have been no new planning applications.

2 .   Flooding and Adverse Weather

It was agreed to report the flooding in Stagg’s Lane to Wiltshire Council.

3 .    Highways

Cllr. Covil reported that the Parish Steward has sprayed all the weeds along the pavement in the High Street. He has also filled potholes around the village and strimmed grass along Lower Road.

It was reported that there are weeds growing through the pavement between Court Farm Road and Pigott Close along the A345. The Parish Steward will be asked to action. He will also tidy the grass and hedges around the War Memorial before November.

4 . Cemetery/Enhancement/Netheravon in Bloom

It was agreed that a new method for watering the hanging baskets needs to be in place before the season starts next year.

Arrangements for tidying up the War Memorial and the Remembrance Ceremony will be discussed at the October Meeting.

5 .   Recreation

The safety surfacing at the Court Farm Playground has been repaired.

6 . Allotments

There are plans for the empty allotments at the Piggot Close allotment area if they are not taken this year. The Clerk has written to the MOD asking for permission to plant fruit trees.

Community Allotment

Cllr. Richie reported that the Community Allotment has been very successful with produce being fed into the Community Larder.

The Community Larder is well stocked and fresh vegetables are available in the cupboard.

7 . Rights of Way

The Old Wilton Cart Track has been cut for the second time this year.




a .    Phoenix Hall

Finances show a current bank balance of £11048.67 with an additional £6037.05 on deposit. The bookings total for the rest of this year is currently £8071. For the first 6 months, we are up by £1120.50 on last year.

Maintenance and Improvements

We now have the new disabled ramps atr rhe entrance. The ramp people plant a tree for every product they sell so a little contribution made by the hall.

Redecoration of the building is now progressing and this will result in a considerable saving on the budget for next year.

Looking ahead

As usual the hall could benefit with an increase in bookings especially on Fridays now we have lost the Youth Club.

The Booking Clerk has been busy showing different people around the personal touch does result in more bookings. Unfortunately, the dance class that showed an interest in using the hall on Fridays never came back which is a great loss to the young people in the local area.

Currently we have made an application for funding to SSE for an emergency generator to be held at the hall for the village if there was a major outage. We have been asked to provide some more information as SSE have had multiple applications.
Cllr. Richie agreed to put something on social media about the vacant spot on Fridays.

Steve Perry, Chairman

b .  Jubilee Committee

Nothing to report

c . Stonehenge Community Area Board

It is hoped that the Council Meeting will be over before the item on the Agenda of the Stonehenge Area Board about the A345 so that Councillors can attend.


REPORT by the Clerk

  • I have ordered three SIDs (Speed Indicator Devices)
  • The Village Sign has been stolen. It was agreed to discuss at the next meeting what to put on the slides.
  • I have asked the MOD to put railings in the gap in the hedge opposite Corfe House caused by the felling of the trees in Mill Road.
  • There is a consultation on the Local Plan starting on 27th September. There will also be a special meeting for the parishes on 4th October in the Recreation Ground Hall, Durrington.
  • The Emergency Plan is being updated
  • I put several postcards through letter boxes asking residents to cut back hedges. The residents have now cut back their hedges.



  • All emails have been forwarded to Councillors for their information



  • The Clerk was asked follow up the request for the provision of a bus stop on the west of the A345 at Westcourt.
  • The Clerk was asked to request a larger bin for Mill Road.
  • The Clerk was asked to report ivy growing at the back of the library
  • The Clerk was asked to report the parking in the Court Farm dog leg and ask for a solution



5th October, 2023. 7.00pm in Phoenix Hall



It was RESOLVED that in the interest of the public, the next item of business be dealt with as Confidential Business, and the press and public be excluded.



It was RESOLVED that Andy Bridewell be invited to be co-opted onto the Council.