Minutes of the Meeting held in the Phoenix Hall on Thursday 1oth March 2022 at 8.00pm

Download this document

- - -
Parish Councillors Present:Cllr. D. BurkeChairman
Cllr. F. Collison
Cllr. C. Coslett
Cllr. B. Covil
Cllr. Mrs. P. Perry
Cllr. S. Perry
In Attendance:Mrs. Mary TowleClerk of the Council



Apologies were received from:  Cllr. Richie Ayling, Cllr. David Jaffray, Cllr. Maureen Mitchell



There were no Declaration of Interests



It was RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 10th February 2022 be accepted as a true record.



1 .    Authorization of Cheques 

The following cheques were approved for the months of February/March 2022:

Fresh-Air Fitness     £10324.20

Hurdcott Landscapes Ltd     £201.83

Landmarc – allotments, bus shelters     £230.00

Payroll     £985.07

Mrs. M. Towle – Use of home as office     £30.00

RGV installing defib at shop     £290.40

Hurdcott Landscapes     £201.83

SSE – Village Clock     £30.62

Mrs. M. Towle – stationery, refuse sacks     £38.53

Phoenix Hall Bookings     £20.00

Landmarc – MP – new lease rise over 3 years     £225.00

2 .    Bank reconciliation

Balance of transactions     £22,841.12

Uncleared withdrawals     £12,847.53

Balance in bank     £35.688.65


3 . Donation to Bobby Van


It was RESOLVED that a donation of £100 be donated to the Bobby Van.   Request that the cheque be presented in person at Cheerful Cuppa.



1 .     Planning

Cllr. Coslett reported that there is one new planning application as follows:


PL/2022/01256 Application for Tree Works in Conservation Area at Old School Close

Netheravon Parish Council Resolved:  No objection to this application for works to the crowns of 3 trees

PL/2021/10625 Application for 4 bed detached house at Piggot Close - Withdrawn


2 .    Flooding and Adverse Weather

  • The Chairman asked the Clerk to write to Landmarc thanking them for the speedy removal of a fallen tree blocking Choulston Farm Road near Wains Way during the recent storms.


3 .    Highways 

The poor state of the roads around Netheravon, especially the subsidence along Mill Road and Whitecliff Hill,  was discussed.  It was reported that Wiltshire Council are aware of the problems and it will probably be a long term project.    The Parish Steward will be asked to fill in potholes.


4 .  CATG

Nothing to report


5 .    Cemetery/Enhancement

  • The Clerk reported that Andy Rawlins will look at the Garden of Remembrance with a view to designing a border.
  • It was suggested that some heavy duty hanging basket brackets are purchased.   A Jubilee logo to be put on each bracket.
  • It was agreed that the Clerk should contact Highways to find out their views on an avenue of trees along the A345.


6 .    Recreation  

  1. The Clerk reported that our Handyman is emptying the bins whilst our Litter Warden is off work due to injury.
  2. The Clerk reported that the exercise equipment will be installed in the Millennium Park on 28th March.   It was suggested that we have an opening event.


7 .    Allotments

The Clerk reported that it is uncertain whether David Sheppard can cultivate the spare allotments due to ill health.   It was suggested that the Clerk contact Hurdcott Landscapes for a price.


8 .    Phoenix Hall

I am pleased to be able to report that the Phoenix Hall has appointed a new Booking Clerk to replace Michala Mather.  From 1st March 2022 Mrs. Pam Perry has taken over the role and will share it with her husband, Mr. Steve Perry.  The appointment allows the hall, through them, to have access to tried and tested admin skills, as well as access to someone with good practical skills, which could keep the fabric of the hall in good order. 

Our new Treasurer, Mr. Nigel Jackaman, has been hampered by our bank’s delays in approving the changes to signatories and printing bank cards.  But the end is in sight and the hall will soon be able to pay invoices again!

BT attended on 4th March to install a new broadband service, replacing the old and slow satellite service that the hall has had for decades.  New passwords will be required to access this Wi-Fi.

Other plans include: 

The committee has quotes to install solar PV panels on the roof, it will decide on whether to go ahead with this.  We are also investigating an installation of fast EV charging points for the village, based at the hall. 

We may have to look at new chairs for the committee room as 3 have been broken beyond repair in the past month.


Charles Coslett, Chairman, Management Committee


9 .   Rights of Way

The Clerk reported that the Wessex Gate along the Corfe has been closed and secured by one of the Rights of Way team.   She further reported that a tree dropped in the recent storms and the River Keeper was kind enough to cut a way through so that the Right of Way could be used.


10 .  Jubilee Committee

The next committee meeting is 15th March.   Plans for a Street Party are going forward. 




Stonehenge Community Area Board

The next meeting will be on 28th March, 2022.   This will a face to face meeting in Antrobus House, Amesbury.   Cllr. Ayling and the Clerk will attend.




A .    Beacon/Bonfire

The Clerk reported that a meeting has been held and the minutes were sent to all Councillors.   We further reported that we have managed to get a Bugler and a Piper for the night.

B .    Queen’ Green Canopy

Cllr. Burke reported that this will be a long term project because of complications with the farmer on giving up the land.   It is in the hands of the MOD.

C .    Adult Outdoor Exercise Equipment

The Clerk reported that the equipment will be installed on 28th/29th March.

D .    Jubilee mugs for children

Cllr. Burke announced that the mugs will be presented to the children at the School on 27th May.

E .    Front Garden Competition

The theme of the village/ tubs will be red, white, and blue.   It will be up to the individuals on the                 theme for front gardens but it must be Jubilee related.   People will be encouraged to grow   sunflowers for the tallest sunflower competition.




The Clerk reported that she is organising the road closure for the street party.   She has also contacted the insurance company and has obtained cover for the street party and the beacon.



  1. email from a resident complaining about the fence on the south of the Millennium Park
  2. email from a resident complaining about the moles on the grass in front of The Stables which she said have come from the Millennium Park





There were no General Parish Matters




Thursday 14th April, 2022 at 7.00pm in the Phoenix Hall